Go to foodie heaven with this twist on a barbecue favourite. Simple ingredients marry beautifully in this salad. Throwing ‘a shrimp on the barbie’ couldn’t be easier!
- 100 g small canned green lentils
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted, crushed
- sea salt flakes and pepper to season
- 2 lemons, segmented, juice reserved
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 16 green prawns, peeled into ribbons, deveined, butterflied (optional)
- 3 black Russian tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 handful mint
- Cook lentils in a medium saucepan of boiling water following packet instructions. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Cook garlic for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat. Stir through coriander seeds and season. Transfer garlic and oil mixture to a large bowl.
- Add lemon segments and juices to the bowl with fish sauce, lentils and remaining oil. Set aside.
- Using a small knife, butterfly prawns, if desired, by cutting back from top to tail (not all the way through).
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan over a high heat. Cook prawns for 2 minutes each side, turning once, or
until pink and just cooked. Stir into garlic mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow flavours to infuse.
- Meanwhile, toss together tomato and avocado. Spread over a large serving platter
- Pile the lentil and prawn mixture over the top. Serve topped with radish and mint leaves.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||15.1 g|
|- Sugars||4.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||13.8 g|