This all-time favourite Christmas dessert is the perfect way to treat family and friends this Christmas. Tie them with ribbon for an elegant edible gift that tastes as good as it looks.
- ¾ cup dried fruit medley (try to pick a mix with glacé cherries)
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup skim powdered milk
- ¼ cup chopped natural almonds, toasted
- 2 tsp grated fresh orange zest
- 250 g vegetable shortening
- Lightly grease and line the base and two longs sides of a 26cm x 16cm brownie tin with baking paper.
- Chop any large pieces of fruit or glacé cherries and place into a large bowl. Add remaining fruit, along with the Rice Bubbles, coconut, icing sugar, powdered milk, almonds and orange zest. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine, ensuring fruit is evenly distributed. Make a well in the centre.
- Melt the vegetable shortening in a small pan over a low heat. Cool slightly, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Working quickly, press the mixture into the prepared tin (see Tips).
- Chill for 20 minutes or until set. Remove from the tin and place onto a board. Using a sharp flat-bladed knife, cut into 3cm squares. Dust with icing sugar.
An easy way to press firmly into the tin is to cover the surface with baking paper or plastic wrap and press down firmly with the base of a glass.
White Christmas will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for around 4 weeks. It can also be frozen.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||12.6 g|
|- Sugars||6.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.3 g|