Go on, treat yourself! We've given this classic Aussie dessert a tropical twist
- 6 free-range egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- quartered fresh strawberries
- fresh passionfruit pulp
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp custard powder
- ¼ cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- Trace a 22cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a greased large oven tray. Lightly grease paper with oil.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, beating until dissolved. Continue to beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick and glossy. Beat in cornflour, vinegar and cream of tartar.
- Using a large serving spoon, place spoonfuls of meringue mixture (about ½ cup) onto the circle, side-by-side, on the prepared tray. Make an indent on the top of each one.
- Cook in a very slow oven (100C) for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool pavlova in oven with door open about 15cm for 1 hour. Remove.
- Meanwhile, make custard. Combine milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until hot. Remove.
- Combine sugar and custard powder in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk until combined. Return to same saucepan. Whisk over a medium heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a clean heatproof bowl. Stir in passionfruit. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Just before serving, beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Whisk custard in bowl until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Top pavlova with custard, strawberries, passionfruit and mint leaves
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||43.5 g|
|- Sugars||38.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|