Pie in the sky... When the pie was open, the birds began to sing, and so will you! Your favourite comfort dish has been transformed into a healthy low-GI dessert.
- 500 g packet frozen blackberries
- 60 g caster sugar
- 3 large ripe pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, finely grated
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 g free-range egg, lightly whisked
- 1 ready rolled light shortcrust pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- icing sugar, to serve
- Heat blackberries, sugar, pears, fresh and ground ginger in a medium saucepan over medium, stirring until berries defrost. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Mix cornflour with a little water and stir into berry mixture, until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a 750ml (3-cup) ovenproof dish. Set aside for at least 1 hour to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fanforced). Brush edge of dish with a little egg. Place pastry over the fruit, pressing down on edge of the plate to seal. Using a small, sharp knife, trim excess pastry and make a small hole in the centre to help steam escape while cooking. Brush pastry with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with icing sugar, if you like. Serve.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVE (with sugar) 732kJ, protein 3g, total fat 3g (sat. fat 1.3g), carbs 30g, fibre 5g, sodium 80mg • Carb exchanges 2 • GI estimate medium PER SERVE (with sugar substitute) 643kJ, protein 3g, total fat 3g (sat. fat 1.3g), carbs 23g, fibre 6g, sodium 80mg • Carb exchanges 1½ • GI estimate low
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.0 g|
|- Sugars||22.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.6 g|