This pie is baked with chunks of wholesome meat and vegetables, and is tasty to boot.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g skinless chicken breast fillets, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 700 g orange sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 300 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ bunch thyme, leaves picked
- 2 Tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 435 ml skim milk
- ½ bunch kale, inner core removed, finely shredded
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 55 g grated reduced-fat mozzarella
- 1 25% reduced-fat shortcrust pastry sheet, thawed
- 60 g free-range egg, lightly whisked
- Heat 1/4 teaspoon of the oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium. Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side or until almost cooked. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until leek starts to soften.
- Meanwhile, put sweet potato and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on High/100% for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Stir mushrooms, garlic and thyme into leek mixture. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms soften. Add flour to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer. Add kale and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Remove pan from heat. Stir in sweet potato, mustard, paprika and cheese.
- Chop chicken into pieces and stir into vegie mixture. Spoon into a 2L (8-cup) rectangular ovenproof dish. Set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fan-forced). Roll out pastry on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper large enough to cover filling. Place on top of filling, pinching on edge of dish to seal. Trim excess. Make a few small slits in the top to help steam escape while cooking. Brush pastry with a little egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVE 1570kJ, protein 33g, total fat 9.3g (sat. fat 3.6g), carbs 35g, fibre 8g, sodium 336mg • Carb exchanges 2½ • GI estimate low
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||38.5 g|
|- Sugars||8.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.6 g|