Pumpkin soup gets a fresh twist with the addition of coconut and ginger
- 2 tblsps vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1.5 tsps finely grated fresh ginger
- 1.5 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1.5 kg kent pumpkin peeled, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 litre chicken stock
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp macadamia nuts toasted chopped to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add coconut and kaffir lime leaves. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until coconut is golden brown.
- Add pumpkin and chicken stock. Season with pepper. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, over a medium to low heat for about 15 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove kaffir lime leaves.
- Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan. Stir over a medium heat until hot.
- Serve soup garnished with chopped macadamia nuts.
For a vegetarian option, replace chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Soup can be made up to three days ahead. Keep, covered in the fridge, or freeze for up to two months.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||14.7 g|
|- Sugars||7.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.1 g|