If you like a little kick, you’ll be hot on the trail of this dish. It’s classic Mediterranean, with zip.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, cored, chopped
- 2 baby eggplants, halved, sliced
- ½ small fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 80 ml salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1 small zucchini, halved, sliced
- 1 fresh lasagne sheet, cut into 2cm-wide strips
- 30 g low-fat ricotta, crumbled, to serve
- Freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add tomato, eggplant, chilli and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add stock. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until tomato softens. Add zucchini and cook, covered, for a further 2 minutes or until zucchini is just cooked.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add pasta strips and cook for 1-2 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain well.
- Add pasta to the warm sauce in the pan. Gently toss to combine and heat through. Transfer pasta and sauce mixture to a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with ricotta and pepper. Serve.
For a slighter sweeter flavour, you can replace the zucchini with a small, deseeded, sliced red capsicum.
PER SERVE 1838kJ, protein 20.9g, total fat 10.4g (sat. fat 2.7g), carbs 52g, fibre 23.3g, sodium 452mg.
Carb exchanges 3½. GI estimate low.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||31.3 g|
|- Sugars||17.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.7 g|