Get the kids involved making this classic coconut ice – perfect for end-of-year teacher gifts.
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 395 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 3½ cups desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp strawberry essence
- 2 drops pink food colouring, to tint
- Grease a 20cm square cake tin with cooking oil spray, then line base and sides with baking paper.
- Sift icing sugar and cream of tartar into a medium bowl, then make a well in the centre. Add condensed milk and coconut, then, using your hands, mix until well combined.
- Put ½ of the mixture in another bowl. Add strawberry essence and a few drops of colouring. Wearing gloves and using your hands, mix until evenly flavoured and tinted.
- Press pink mixture over the base of prepared tin. Cover with white mixture and press down firmly to smooth surface. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Remove from tin and cut into 20 squares. Package as gifts or store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||24.4 g|
|- Sugars||24.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|