There are some things you just don't mess with – vanilla slice is one of them
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 2 sheets store-bought frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 100 g white chocolate, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
- 150 g caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 65 g cornflour
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup (300 g) white fondant icing
- 75 g good-quality dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square cake tin with cooking oil spray. Line base and sides with baking paper. Put each sheet of puff pastry between 2 pieces of non-stick baking paper, then sandwich between 2 flat oven trays. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is deep golden. Cool completely on a wire rack, then brush 1 side of each with melted white chocolate. Cut sheets to fit into prepared tin and put 1 sheet in base, chocolate-side up.
- Put milk, cream, butter and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Meanwhile, put sugar, yolks and cornflour in a bowl and whisk until light and creamy. Stir in water. Pour in hot milk mixture, stirring well, then return mixture to saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly until a thick custard forms.
- Pour hot custard mixture over pastry and spread to flatten, then put second pastry square on top, chocolate side down. Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, or until firm.
- Put fondant icing in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely-simmering water for 5 minutes or until warmed and spreadable. Working quickly, spread over top of slice using a warm palette knife. Put dark chocolate in a small zip-lock bag and snip corner tip. While fondant is still warm, drizzle chocolate in evenly spaced lines, then run a toothpick through lines in parallel direction to create a feather effect. Set aside for 10 minutes or until firm. Slice into 12 rectangles. Serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||19.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||74.4 g|
|- Sugars||44.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.3 g|