Perfect roast chicken is cooked with lemon and herbs for a flavourful main meal
- 1 Tbsp light margarine
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped sage
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 2 x 1.2 kg free-range chickens
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 350 g green beans, steamed, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Line a large shallow baking dish with baking paper. Put a wire rack over dish.
- Combine margarine, parsley, sage, garlic and lemon zest in a small bowl. Season herb spread with pepper and mix until well combined.
- Remove excess skin from cavity of each chicken. Wipe out cavity with paper towel. Using your fingers, loosen skin over breast of each chicken, separating skin from meat. Push half the herb spread under skin of each breast, spreading it over meat. Use kitchen string to tie legs.
- Put chickens on rack. Spray lightly with cooking spray and season with pepper. Roast for 1¼ hours or until juices run clear when tested with a skewer between leg and thigh. Set chickens aside for 5 minutes to rest before carving (remember to remove skin before eating). Serve with steamed green beans.
If you prefer, you can replace the parsley and sage with dill and chives, and the lemon zest with lime zest. Serve with broccoli instead of beans.
PER SERVE 780kJ, protein 32g, total fat 5.5g (sat. fat 1.7g), carbs 1g, fibre 3g, sodium 74mg. Carb exchanges N/A. GI estimate N/A. Gluten free.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||2.5 g|
|- Sugars||1.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.2 g|