Make a weekend breakfast extra special by whipping up a batch of these banana pancakes. Don't forget the maple syrup.
- 80 g (½ cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 75 g (½ cup) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or granulated sugar substitute
- 50 g egg, lightly whisked
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 185 ml (¾ cup) light coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 g light margarine, melted
- 1 extra banana, thinly sliced into rounds, to serve
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut, toasted, to serve
- 3 tbsp diet maple syrup, to serve
- Put flours and sugar in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add egg, banana, coconut milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Set aside for 10 minute to rest.
- Brush a large non-stick frying pan with a little of the margarine and heat over a medium heat. Add batter, 2 Tbsp at a time, to make 4 small pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles begin to form. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute or until pancakes are cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with a clean tea towel. Wrap up to keep warm. Repeat with remaining margarine and batter, in 2 more batches, to make 12 pancakes in total.
- Arrange 2 pancakes on each serving plate. Top each with a few slices of banana and toasted coconut. Drizzle over maple syrup and serve.
To toast shredded coconut, put coconut in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
If you want a fast pancake breakfast in the morning, make pancakes the night before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge. In the morning top with banana and coconut.
There are lots of good reasons to include bananas in your diet. Rich in potassium, which is great for heart health, this low-GI fruit is also a good source of fibre. Be mindful
of portion sizes, however, as one large banana has about 30g of carbs (2 exchanges).
PER SERVE (with sugar) 716kJ, protein 4.4g, total fat 4.6g (sat. fat 2.4g), carbs 28g, fibre 2g, sodium 210mg.
• Carb exchanges 2.
• GI estimate medium.
PER SERVE (with sugar substitute) 688kJ, protein 4.4g, total fat 5.6g (sat. fat 2.4g), carbs 26g, fibre 2g,
• Carb exchanges 12⁄3.
• GI estimate medium.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.5 g|
|- Sugars||5.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|