Enjoy a fresh and even fruitier take on an Aussie teatime favourite
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Icing sugar mixture, to decorate
- 2 x 250 g punnets strawberries, hulled, thickly sliced
- ¼ cup orange-flavoured liqueur
- ¼ cup icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- To make pavlova roll, beat egg whites in large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks almost form. With motor operating, add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, beating between each addition until combined. Beat for a further 3 minutes until thick and glossy. Fold in vinegar, then cornflour. Spread evenly into pan.
- Cook on the lowest shelf in a slow oven (150C) for about 18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Immediately turn out onto a wire rack lined with baking paper. Gently remove paper from roll. Cool.
- To macerate strawberries, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stand for 30 minutes, at room temperature, until strawberries are soft. Drain. Reserve juices.
- Beat cream and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- With one long edge of pavlova facing you, spread cream over top. Arrange a quarter of the strawberries over cream, leaving a 5cm strip at opposite long edge. Slide onto a chopping board. Starting at long edge closest to you, roll up pavlova, using baking paper as a guide. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve with remaining strawberries and reserved strawberry juices.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||49.6 g|
|- Sugars||47.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.6 g|