Sticky date and chocolate meringue cake is the decadent dessert you've been looking for
- 300 g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups pitted dried dates
- 1½ cups flaked almonds
- 1¼ cups almond meal
- 5 egg whites
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- Flaked almonds, to decorate
- Creme fraiche, to serve
- 200 g block Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup pure cream
- Grease a 24cm round springform pan (base measuring 22cm). Line base and side with baking paper.
- Process chocolate in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Process dates until finely chopped. Add to bowl. Process almonds until roughly chopped. Add to bowl. Stir in almond meal.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks start to form. With motor operating, add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time. Continue to beat for 5 minutes until meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Gently stir a quarter of the meringue into chocolate mixture. Then gently stir in remaining meringue. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 55 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to touch. Stand for 10 minutes in pan. Remove side and base. Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread ganache over top of cold cake. Decorate with extra almonds. Serve with creme fraiche.
- To make ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until spreadable.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||75.0 g|
|- Sugars||68.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||9.8 g|