- Serves 4
We like our burgers piled sky-high with ‘the works’ – that means EVERYTHING including our secret sauce.
- 500 g beef steak mince
- ½ red onion
- Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp celery salt
- pinch chilli flakes
- 4 brioche rolls, toasted
- 2 vine tomatoes, sliced to serve
- 8 slices Emmental cheese
- gherkins, sliced to serve
- iceberg lettuce, to serve
Sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- ½ red onion, very finely sliced
Secret burger sauce
- 2 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp American mild mustard
- 1 tbsp gherkins, very finely diced, plus 1 tsp vinegar from the jar
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
- Mix the burger sauce ingredients together. If you have time, leave the sauce ingredients for a few hours or even make it the day before.
- To make the sweet and sour onions, mix the vinegar and sugar in a bowl and toss the sliced onions in it. Stir now and again while you make the burgers.
- Put the mince in a bowl. Grate the onion on the course side of a box grater. The tougher outer layers will refuse to grate, so just discard these. You just want the grated purée. Add the grated onion to the mince bowl along with a splash of Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, and chilli flakes. Mix everything with your hands and divide into 8 equal portions.
- Flatten each portion into a very thin patty. They will spring back in the pan so make them much thinner than you think you should.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a high heat. Turn the oven to 200C/fan. Fry the patties for 2 minutes each side. You won’t be able to get all 8 in one pan, so as you finish, transfer them to a baking tray. When you have 8, top each with a square of cheese and put in the oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Put some sauce on each bun base. Add lettuce and a couple of slices of tomato. Stack up 2 patties with cheese, then add sauce, the onions and gherkins. Add more sauce, bun tops and skewer each to hold it together.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||31.8 g|
|- Sugars||13.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.4 g|