- Serves 4
Thanks to pearl barley, this risotto is a lot lighter than most Italian risotto plates - meaning they'll be room for seconds.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley (200 g)
- ½ cup white wine
- 2½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch rocket (125 g), trimmed, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Extra grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until just tender. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in barley and mushroom mixture. Add wine. Boil until wine is reduced by half. Add stock. Bring to boil.
- Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in rocket and parmesan. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve risotto with extra grated parmesan.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||39.4 g|
|- Sugars||6.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||9.8 g|