100 g ready-to-roll black icing
4 x 440 g packets golden butter cake mix
silver star sprinkles, to decorate
thin red ribbon, to decorate
playing cards, to decorate
400 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
ultra violet food colouring gel, to tint
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending 5cm above edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon 1½ cake mixes into one pan and remaining 1½ cake mixes into remaining pan. Smooth over tops. Reserve icing sachets for another use.
- Cook both cakes in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out cakes onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth.
- Trim top of cakes to sit flat. Place one cake onto a cake board. Spread top with ½ cup frosting. Invert remaining cake and place on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake.
- Knead 100g of the white icing on a clean bench until smooth. Divide in half. Roll each into a 70cm rope-shape. Position one around the base and the other around the top of cake. Trim sour straps and arrange around side of cake as pictured.
- Knead remaining white icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out between two sheets baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out an 8 ½ cm circle using a pastry cutter. Cut out a 7cm wide x 10cm long rectangle. Cut corners off the rectangle. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Knead red icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using 2 ½ cm letter cutters, cut out letters, as pictured. Place onto icing circle and rectangle.
- Arrange icing circle on side of cake. Decorate cake with popcorn. Place icing rectangle on popcorn.