This rocking roulade is just what your Sunday afternoon tea needs! With a zesty twinge and a hint of nuttiness, you'll go crazy for it.
4 large egg whites
225 g caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp white wine vinegar
50 g ground almonds
300 ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
6 tbsp lemon curd
1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
3 strawberries, halved, to decorate
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan and line a Swiss roll tin (about 23 × 30cm) with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Slowly add the sugar, still whisking, until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the almond extract, vinegar and ground almonds until lightly incorporated. Pour into the Swiss roll tin and smooth over, tapping the tin to remove any big air bubbles.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until the top is golden and feels firm and set. Remove from oven, cover with baking parchment and a damp tea towel. Leave to cool.
- To serve, whip the cream until thick. Spoon a third into a piping bag and set aside. Invert the roulade onto a large sheet of baking parchment sprinkled with icing sugar. Carefully peel off lining paper and spread over the lemon curd, then spread over the rest of the cream.
- Roll up carefully, using the paper to help you. Pipe the remaining cream on top of the roulade, and decorate with flaked almonds and strawberry halves.