1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ cups caster sugar
pinch fine salt
4 free-range eggs
1 l unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
cooking oil spray
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cornflour
500 g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
½ cup icing sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp sweet sherry
honey, to garnish
toasted flaked almonds, to garnish
baby mint leaves
- Sift flour, ¼ cup of the caster sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Separate 2 of the eggs. Whisk whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. In another bowl, combine yolks, 500ml of the milk, olive oil and 1 tsp of the vanilla. Add to flour mixture and whisk until it forms a smooth batter. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Grease a waffle iron (we used the Smart Waffle by Breville) with cooking oil spray. Heat over a medium heat. Pour in ¼ of the batter, then cook for 3 minutes each side, or until golden and crisp. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Heat remaining milk in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, until simmering. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs, caster sugar, vanilla and cornflour until smooth. Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly. Return to pan. Place over a low heat and simmer for 3–5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened. Remove custard from heat.
- Toss strawberries, icing sugar and sherry in a medium bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to macerate.
- Serve waffles with strawberries and custard. Garnish with a drizzle of honey, toasted almonds, baby mint leaves and edible flowers.