¾ cup plain flour
1 ½ cup caster sugar
10 free-range egg whites, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cream of tartar
icing sugar mixture, to serve
aerosol whipped cream, to serve
670 g jar morello glacé cherries
2 Tbsp caster sugar
1 Tbsp cornflour
2 Tbsp cold water
- Sift flour and ½ cup of the sugar onto a sheet of baking paper. Repeat three times. Set aside.
- Place egg whites, vanilla and tartar in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on a high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium. Gradually add remaining sugar 1 tblsp at a time, beating between additions until thick and glossy.
- Add flour mixture to egg white mixture. Gently fold until combined. Spoon into an ungreased 23cm loose-base angel food cake pan. Smooth over the top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven. Invert pan immediately onto a bench. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Drain cherries through a sieve over a saucepan. Set cherries aside. Add sugar and cornflour blended with water to juice in pan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, stirring until thickened. Pour into a heatproof bowl. Stir in cherries. Cool.
- Remove cake by running a palette knife around inside edge of pan to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate. Lift off side. Loosen base with a knife. Remove
- Just before serving, dust cake with sifted icing sugar. Serve with cold sauce.