8 lean bacon rashers
600 g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
410 g canned chopped tomatoes
½ cup light cooking cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
375 g pasta
2 zucchini, shredded
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Place bacon in a single layer on an oiled oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned. Cool slightly. Cut into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, boil pumpkin in a stockpot of water until very tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. Return pumpkin to pot with tomatoes and cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Stir in zucchini then drain, reserving 1/3 cup of cooking water. Stir pasta and cooking water into sauce with parsley.
- Serve pasta topped with bacon. Garnish with pepper.