2 Tbsp olive oil
200 g packet rindless streaky bacon, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 large green capsicum, cut into thin strips
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 cups chicken stock
400 g canned diced tomatoes
¾ cup easy-cook white long grain rice
salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups frozen peas and sweetcorn
- Heat 2 tsps of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add remaining oil to same hot frying pan with onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, tomatoes and rice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover with lid. Gently boil for about 12 minutes, or until rice is just tender. Uncover.
- Stir in frozen vegetables and bacon. Cover. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately.