2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g beef mince
200 g cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
400 g bottle passata
¾ cup water
Salt and pepper, to taste
375 g fettuccine
finely grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add beef. Increase heat to high. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Add mushrooms, paste and herbs. Stir for 2 minutes. Stir in sauce and water.
- Bring to boil. Simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Uncover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 15 minutes, or until thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Serve sauce over pasta. Garnish with parmesan.