1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g beef mince
40 g sachet burrito seasoning mix
½ cup water
2 x 300 g jars thick and chunky mild salsa
250 g packet microwave rice
425 g canned black beans, drained, rinsed
425 g packet 20 cm flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup grated cheese
shredded iceberg lettuce
- Grease a large, rectangular ovenproof dish (14-cup capacity).
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add beef. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until changed in colour. Add the spice mix. Stir for 30 seconds
- Add water and one jar of salsa to pan. Mix well. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove. Cool.
- Heat rice according to packet directions for 1 minute only. Cool. Stir in beans.
- Heat tortillas according to packet directions in the microwave until hot
- Divide rice mixture across the centre of tortillas, leaving a 5cm border on the side of each one. Spoon ½ cup beef mixture over each one. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold in sides, then roll up tightly to enclose filling.
- Place burritos, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Spoon remaining salsa down the centre. Top with remaining cheese
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with lettuce, sour cream and avocado