The crunchy, golden, potato topping is what really sets this casserole apart from others. Everyone will love the flavour and contrasting textures. Dig in!
2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 kg boneless beef blade steak, cut into 4cm pieces
2 onions, finely chopped
785 g jar tomato and garlic pasta sauce
2 cups frozen peas, corn and carrots
750 g packet frozen potato gems
- Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity) over a high heat. Add beef in three batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Remove.
- Add onions to same dish over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in pasta sauce and 1 cup water.
- Return beef to dish with any meat juices. Bring to boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook in a slow oven (150°C) for 1 hour, 35 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in frozen carrot, peas and corn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange frozen potato gems over casserole. Return to oven.
- Cook, uncovered, in a very hot oven (220°C) for a further 25 minutes, or until top is golden and crisp. Serve.