It's a fabulous homemade gift – treat family and friends to edible goodies everyone will love.
3 free-range eggs, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp vanilla paste
⅔ cup plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup natural almonds
- Beat eggs, both sugars and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until thick and pale. Sift over our and soda. Add almonds. Stir to form a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out on to a lightly oured bench. Divide in half. Shape each half into a log-shape, about 30cm in length. Place on a large oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and rm to touch. Remove from oven. Cool completely on tray.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut into 1cm slices. Arrange in a single layer, cut-side up, on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 30 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Remove from oven. Cool completely on trays.