1.8 kg whole chicken
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp mild curry powder
¼ cup olive oil
750 g chat potatoes, halved
Salt and pepper, to taste
Greek yoghurt, to serve
2 vine-ripened tomatoes (350g), deseeded and chopped
1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped
1 cup fresh coriander, leaves
½ small red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Remove excess fat from inside of cavity.
- Place on a chopping board, breast-side down, with legs towards you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along either side of the backbone, starting from the parson’s nose to the neck. Remove backbone and discard.
- Turn chicken over with breast facing up. Then place the palm of your hand in the middle of the breast and push firmly to break chest bone and flatten. Tuck wings under.
- Combine juice, mustard, curry powder and 1 tbsp of the oil in a large bowl. Add chicken. Rub all over to coat. Place chicken, skin-side up, in a large roasting pan lined with baking paper.
- Toss potatoes in 1 tbsp of oil. Arrange around chicken. Season.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until chicken and potatoes are cooked. Remove. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- To make salsa, combine all ingredients with remaining oil in a serving bowl. Season.
- Serve chicken with potatoes, salsa and yoghurt.