3 mandarin oranges, sliced into thin rounds, discard seeds and end cuts
large bowl ice water
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup plain flour
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup roasted hazelnuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1 Tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp coconut oil
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch ground nutmeg
½ cup raisins
1 Tbsp Nutella (per serve)
- For candied oranges. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Boil 1 minute then place in the bowl of ice water until cooled. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, bring 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons orange juice just to a boil, and heat until sugar dissolves (stir occasionally).
- Turn heat to medium-low and place orange slices in the sugar-water in a single layer.
- Simmer (do not boil) the orange slices 45-60 minutes or until rinds are slightly translucent, turning every 15 minutes
- Place orange slices on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely, (1 hour or overnight).
- If desired, sprinkle extra sugar over candied orange slices if you prefer the slices less sticky
- Use immediately or keep orange slices refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C (160 if using fan forced).
- Line a tin with baking paper.
- Leave paper hanging over the edge so that the bars will be easier to remove from the pan.
- Melt the coconut oil on medium heat in the microwave (or on the stovetop).
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until the sugar has dissolved. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well to combine
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.
- Serve with candied oranges and drizzle Nutella over the muesli.