Make an all-time favourite everyone will love with this simple recipe
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules
2 Tbsp boiling water
1 quantity chocolate cake batter (see linked recipe)
cocoa powder, to decorate
300 ml tub thickened cream
380 g canned caramel top 'n' fill
- Grease two 19cm x 30cm lamington pans. Line the bases and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 2cm above the pan edges.
- Dissolve coffee granules in water in a heatproof jug. Cool. Reserve 2 tsps.
- Fold the remaining coffee into the cake batter in a large bowl. Divide evenly between prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Remove from the oven and stand cakes in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make the caramel cream, beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Whisk caramel in a bowl until smooth. Fold into cream with reserved coffee.
- To serve, sandwich cakes together with half the caramel cream. Spread remaining caramel cream over top. Dust with sifted cocoa.