200 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 eggs, at room temperature
⅓ cup milk
1 ⅔ cups self-raising flour
mini pretzels, to decorate
caramel topping, to decorate
250 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
⅓ cup caramel topping
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- To make cupcakes, beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in milk and flour in two batches until combined. Divide evenly among cases.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in same, clean bowl of electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth. Stir in caramel.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle. Pipe onto cupcakes. Decorate with pretzel twists. Drizzle with caramel.