When the weather gets chilly in the US, many turn to pumpkin spice lattes – made with the spices put into the classic pumpkin pie. Bring the classic flavour to your Aussie kitchen with this hot cup of cake.
⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
¼ cup (60ml) skim milk
1 tsp caramel topping, plus extra for drizzling
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 scoop vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Combine flour, brown sugar and spices in a 1-cup capacity mug.
- Add vegetable oil, milk, egg, caramel and vanilla essence to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Cook mug on high (70%) in microwave for 2 mins – it will rise over the rim as it cooks.
- Carefully remove mug from microwave – it will be hot to touch, so ensure you use oven mitts or a tea towel.
- Enjoy warm with some spoonfuls of vanilla ice-cream and extra caramel topping.