600 g kangaroo mince
100 g cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
2 free-range eggs and 2 egg yolks
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
sea salt flakes and fresh black pepper to season
120 g mozzarella, cut into 4 slices
1 beetroot, peeled
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp wattleseed
½ cup vegetable oil
cooking oil spray
4 burger buns, halved
potato crisps to serve
- Combine mince, cream cheese, barbecue sauce, eggs and breadcrumbs in a large bowl and season generously. Mix until smooth, then divide into 4 pieces. Form each into a patty around a slice of mozzarella. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, shred beetroot with a spiraliser. Mix 1½ Tbsp of the vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl. Add beetroot and season with salt. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow beetroot to pickle slightly.
- Whisk together yolks, mustard, garlic, wattleseed and remaining vinegar in a large bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens to a mayonnaise. Season with salt.
- Spray patties with cooking oil. Heat a barbecue flat plate or a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook patties for 8-10 minutes, turning several times, until browned and cooked through.
- Arrange lettuce, tomato, avocado and patties on buns. Top with aioli and beetroot. Serve with crisps.