These simple muffins are tasty and make a great snack idea for after school and holidays. Top up with some fresh fruit pieces, or a glass of milk to keep kids satisfied until dinner time.
1 cup bacon, chopped
1 ⅓ cups grated tasty cheese
3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
600 ml thickened cream
- Preheat oven to hot 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Lightly grease or line a 12-hole (1/3 cup capacity) muffin tray with paper cases.
- Place the bacon into a non-stick frying pan and place over a medium heat. Fry the bacon until cooked and crispy. Transfer to paper towel and allow to cool.
- Place bacon into a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese and mix to combine. Remove 3/4 cup of the cheese and bacon mixture and set aside to top the muffins.
- Add the flour and mix with a spatula to combine. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the cream all at once and mix until just combined. Spoon into muffin holes.
- Top with reserved bacon and cheese, pressing into the surface. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden-brown and firm. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with spread.