250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups caster sugar
1 tbsp almond essence
¾ cup sour cream
1 ½ cups plain flour
¼ cup self-raising flour
¾ cup almond meal
100 g packet red glace cherries, chopped
Fresh cherries, to serve
2 cups icing sugar mixture
2 tbsp milk
- Grease a 22cm deep bunt or kugelhopf pan (10-cup capacity).
- Beat butter, sugar and essence in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir in cream.
- Combine sifted flours in a bowl with almond meal and cherries. Stir into butter mixture until smooth. Spoon into pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Cover loosely with foil during cooking if cake starts to over-brown. Stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, place icing sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in enough milk until thick and smooth. Drizzle over cold cake.
- Serve with fresh cherries.