Melted butter, to grease
150 g raw sugar
200 g cream cheese, chopped, softened
75 g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
100 g marzipan, grated
2 cups frozen cherries, defrosted, drained well, patted dry with paper towel
1 cup shredded coconut
375 g piece frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
200 g 70%-cocoa dark chocolate, finely chopped
500 ml vanilla ice-cream
1 tsp coconut essence
½ cup cherry jam, beaten
1 cup good-quality store-bought chocolate sauce
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Grease a 12-hole ¹⁄³-cup capacity muffin tin with melted butter. Dust with 50g of the raw sugar.
- Put cream cheese and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using paddle attachment, for 5 minutes or until very light. Add egg, marzipan and cherries, then beat until combined. Stir in coconut.
- Roll out puff pastry to 3mm thick to create a 40cm x 25cm rectangle. Spread with cream cheese mixture. Scatter with chocolate. Starting at 1 long edge, roll up tightly to form a log. Cut into 12 even pieces and put in prepared tin holes, cut side up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until deep golden. Remove from oven and immediately scatter with remaining raw sugar and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, put ice-cream in a large freezer-safe bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until softened slightly. Stir in coconut essence. Add jam and sauce, then swirl with a spoon to create a marble effect. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Serve buns with scoops of jam-ripple ice-cream.