This chicken cacciatore recipe includes the delicious flavours of bacon, tomato and basil. It's a family dinner that can be served with creamy mashed potato.
1.5 g chicken thigh fillets, skin on
200 g shortcut bacon rashers, chopped
350 g jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
½ cup pitted Sicilian olive
cooked mashed potato, to serve
- Heat a lightly oiled, flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity) over a high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, in two batches. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove.
- Drain all but 1 tsp of liquid from casserole dish. Return dish to a medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in sauce and stock. Return chicken with any juices. Bring to boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked. Remove from oven. Using a large metal spoon, skim away excess oil from top. Stir in olives.
- Serve with mashed potato (optional).