500 g chicken mince
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp water
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs (45 g)
½ cup plain flour (80 g)
1- 2 cups vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
Sweet & sour sauce
⅓ cup pineapple juice (80 ml)
1 tsp cornflour
½ cup tomato sauce (125 ml)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar
- Grate zucchini. Squeeze out excess moisture. Combine with chicken in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape 2 tablespoons mixture into nuggets, 4cm in length.
- Combine eggs and water in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dust nuggets with flour. Shake off excess. Dip, one at a time, into egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan, over medium to high heat. Add nuggets in two batches. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, make sweet and sour sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve nuggets with warm sweet and sour sauce.