2 Tbsp olive oil
1 kg skinless chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
100 g sliced pancetta, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
⅓ cup tomato paste
¾ cup dry red wine
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
500 g dried pappardelle pasta
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity) over a high heat. Add chicken in two batches. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove
- Add onion, celery, carrot, pancetta, garlic and rosemary to same dish. Cook, stirring occasionally, over a medium heat, until soft. Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add wine. Boil for 1 minute. Add stock. Return chicken. Bring to boil. Cover with lid.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 1 hour, or until chicken is falling apart. Remove from oven. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Skim excess oil from top of ragu using a large metal spoon or absorbent kitchen paper. Using tongs, remove chicken. Thickly shred. Stir back into sauce in casserole dish. Season.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a stockpot of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain
- Add pasta to ragu. Toss to coat. Serve.