1 ½ cups jasmine rice
3 ¼ cups chicken stock
600 g chicken breast fillets
⅓ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup Chinese cooking wine
¼ tsp sesame oil
2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
400 g bunch fresh gai lan, trimmed, halved crossways
1 fresh long red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve (optional)
2 tbsp peanut oil
6 green spring onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- Combine rice with 2¼ cups of the stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer, covered, for about 12 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- To make sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat until hot. Carefully add onions and ginger. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place chicken in a large, deep frying pan with soy sauce, wine, oil and remaining stock. Add enough water to just cover chicken.
- Bring to a very gentle simmer. Gently simmer for about 5 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove chicken. Boil stock until reduced by half. Add carrots and gai lan. Simmer until just tender.
- Serve vegetables and stock over rice. Top with thickly sliced chicken, onion sauce and chilli (optional).