1 bunch fresh coriander, washed
8 taco shells
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp mild paprika
500 g beef mince
1 large green capsicum, chopped
1 eggplant,cut into 2cm squares
2 x 400 g cans canned crushed tomatoes
1 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, shredded
sour cream, to serve
- Finely chop roots and stems from coriander. You will need 1⁄4 cup. Reserve leaves.
- Cover the base of a large, deep frying pan with two sheets of foil. Arrange taco shells over foil. Cover with lid. Cook over a medium to low heat, turning halfway through, for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until shells are crisp, and warmed through. Remove shells and foil. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in same pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, spices and coriander roots and stems. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add beef. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add capsicum and eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally for a further 5 minutes, or until eggplant is just tender. Add tomatoes, chipotle and 1⁄2 cup water. Bring to boil. Cover.
- Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Remove lid. Gently boil for a further 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Coarsely chop reserved coriander leaves. Combine with lettuce in a bowl.
- Serve chilli con carne with taco shells, sour cream and lettuce mixture.