125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 ½ cups plain flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
Hazelnut coffee filling
⅔ whole skinless hazelnuts
1 tsp instant coffee granules
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
25 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg. Beat until combined. Add combined sifted flour, cocoa and baking powder. Beat on low speed until combined. Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to form coarse crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of lightly floured baking paper to form a 20cm x 26cm rectangle, about 5mm thick. Sprinkle filling evenly over top, leaving a 1cm border around edges. Firmly press filling into dough. Using baking paper as a guide, roll up tightly from one long side to form a log. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, trim ends of log. Cut log into 6mm-thick slices. Place 3cm apart on prepared trays.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C), swapping trays halfway through, for about 15 minutes, or until firm to touch. Cool completely on trays.