200 g unsalted butter, chopped
200 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
1 ⅓ cups brown sugar
4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp Bourbon whiskey
1 cup plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
⅔ cup raw peanuts, roasted
vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Peanut caramel sauce
300 ml thickened cream
½ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 Tbsp Bourbon whiskey, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line base and two long sides of a 27cm x 17.5cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper.
- Put butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth. Add sugar and whisk until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and Bourbon and whisk until combined. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa on top of mixture and whisk until just combined and smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with peanuts.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until the top is firm to touch but centre is still soft. (To keep the fudgy centre, don’t overcook.) Cool in pan, or cool to warm for serving
- Meanwhile, to make peanut caramel sauce, put all ingredients in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Gently boil for 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
- Lift brownie out of pan. Cut into 12 squares. Dust lightly with cocoa. Put on serving plates and drizzle with sauce. Serve with ice-cream.