225 g unsalted butter, chopped
2 cups water
2 cups caster sugar
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 ⅔ cup self-raising flour
200 g block Caramello or other caramel filled milk chocolate bar
125 g bag mini caramel-filled chocolate eggs, to serve
1 packet honeycomb chocolate snack bars, to serve
ready-popped sweet caramel popcorn, to serve
200 g block dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup water
1 cup pure cream
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Stir butter, water, sugar, sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in eggs and flour until smooth. Divide between pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pans for 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make ganache. Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium pan, stirring, over a low heat. Bring to boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from heat. Carefully stir in cream until smooth. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until thickened and a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, trim tops of cakes to sit flat. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a plate. Spread with ½ cup ganache. Repeat layering with remaining cakes and ganache, finishing with cake.
- Warm remaining ganache in a heatproof jug in the microwave for about 10 seconds, or until melted. Cool slightly. Pour over cake.
- Diagonally halve short rows of Caramello. Arrange on top of cake with eggs, Crunchies and popcorn.