300 ml tub thickened cream
250 tub mascarpone
200 g dark chocolate biscuits (Monte biscuits), coarsely chopped
600 ml tub thickened cream
½ cup caster sugar
2 ½ cups milk
¼ cup custard powder
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 free-range eggs
200 g block dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- To make custard, combine cream, sugar and 1½ cups of the milk in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot. Do not boil.
- Place custard powder and sifted cocoa into a heatproof bowl. Add eggs and remaining 1 cup milk. Whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream mixture until combined. Whisk egg mixture into remaining cream mixture in saucepan.
- Place saucepan over a medium to high heat. Stir until custard is boiling and thickened. Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Stir until melted. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until cold. Stir until smooth.
- To assemble trifle, beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in mascarpone until just combined.
- Spoon half the custard and then half the mascarpone cream into a glass trifle dish (14-cup capacity). Scatter over half the biscuits. Repeat with remaining custard and mascarpone cream. Top with remaining biscuits.
- Cover trifle with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.