Gluten-free doesn’t have to mean taste-free, as this knockout tart shows! With a large serving size, it's just waiting to be eaten up at your next party. Dig in!
185 ml freshly brewed instant coffee granules
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
375 ml can sweetened skim condensed milk
140 g gluten-free plain flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
60 g light margarine
1 egg yolk
3 Tbsp chilled water
- To make the pastry, put the flour, cocoa powder and margarine in a small food processor. Cover and process until well combined. Add egg yolk and enough of the chilled water to just hold mixture together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together to form a ball. Shape mixture into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Roll out pastry between 2 pieces of baking paper until large enough to line a 22cm (base measurement) round loose-bottomed flan tin. Trim any excess pastry. Place tin on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced). Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beads or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove paper and beads/rice and cook for a further 5 minutes or until pastry is just cooked through. Set aside.
- Stir coffee with cocoa powder in a medium heatproof jug, then set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Whisk in the condensed milk and eggs until well combined.
- Place pastry case in the oven and carefully pour in filling. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 150°C (fan-forced) and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is just set. Set aside in the tin to cool.