1 ⅓ cups plain flour
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
⅓ cup cocoa powder
100 g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp cold water
double cream, to serve
cocoa powder, to decorate
3 eggs, lightly beaten
⅔ cup maple syrup
⅔ cup brown sugar
25 g unsalted butter, melted
2 cups chopped walnuts
½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Grease a 23cm round, loose-based flan tin (3cm deep).
- To make pastry, process flour, sugar, cocoa and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine crumbs. With motor operating, add yolk and enough water until mixture just comes together. Remove. Shape into a flat disc. Cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to fit tin (7mm thick). Lift into tin. Trim edge. Pinch pastry against the side to extend ½cm above edge. Place on an oven tray. Cover with baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans or rice. Cook for a further 7 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
- To make filling, whisk eggs, syrup, sugar and butter in a bowl until combined. Stir in walnuts and chocolate. Carefully pour into pastry case.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 45 minutes, or until set. Cool completely in tin. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight until firm.
- Remove tart from fridge 30 minutes before serving. Remove from tin. Serve with double cream. Dust with sifted cocoa.