cooking oil spray, cut into 1 cm slices
400 g zucchini (2), unpeeled, chopped
1 cup milk
60 g fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup cocoa powder
250 g butter, melted
2 cups brown sugar
6 free range eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered, to garnish
edible flowers, to garnish
Avocado chocolate frosting
1 ½ avocado, halved, stoned
½ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional). Grease two 20cm round cake tins with cooking oil then line base and sides with baking paper. Put zucchini and milk in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add spinach and cocoa and blitz again
- Put butter and brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. Pour in zucchini mixture and whisk again until smooth. It’s OK if mixture looks a little split.
- Sift in flour, bicarb and baking powder and stir until smooth. Pour evenly into prepared tins. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside cakes for 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make avocado chocolate frosting, put all frosting ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms.
- Spread ½ of the frosting on 1 cake then put other cake on top. Spread remaining frosting on top. To serve, garnish with strawberries, edible flowers and leaves (for decoration only, do not eat).