5 eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup plain flour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tbsp boiling water
300 ml tub thickened cream
2 tbsp icing sugar mixture, plus extra for dusting
⅔ cup raspberry jam
fresh raspberries, to decorate
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Place eggs in small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes, or until mixture doubles in size. Transfer to large bowl of electric mixer. Beat for 7 minutes, until very thick. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating between each addition. Beat in extract.
- Sift flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Add water. Using a large balloon whisk, gently fold to combine. Do not stir. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly shrinking away from pan side. Immediately turn onto wire racks covered with baking paper. Turn top-side up to cool.
- Beat cream and icing sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Sandwich sponges together on a serving plate with jam and cream. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar. Decorate with raspberries.