750 g fresh raw Australian king prawns
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp sambal oelek
2 tsp soy sauce
¾ cup shredded coconut
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
⅓ cup plain flour
½ tsp ground white pepper
vegetable oil, for deep frying
½ cup kewpie mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sambal oelek
1 tsp soy sauce
- To make chilli mayonnaise, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Peel and devein prawns, leave tails intact.
- Whisk eggs, sambal oelek and sauce together in a small bowl. Place combined coconut and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Dust prawns in flour seasoned with pepper. Shake away excess. One at a time, dip prawns in egg mixture. Toss in coconut mixture, pressing on to coat. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Heat enough oil in a large wok, over a medium to high heat, to deep-fry until hot. Add prawns in three batches. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden and cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve prawns with chilli mayonnaise.