1 large regular white cob bread loaf or multigrain sourdough cob loaf (450g)
cucumbers, cut into matchsticks, to serve
raw carrot, cut into matchsticks, to serve
150 g short-cut bacon rashers, finely chopped
1 large bunch English spinach (350g), trimmed, washed, finely chopped
3 green spring onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250 g block cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
200 g Greek feta, crumbled
300 ml tub sour cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
- Using a serrated knife, cut the top quarter off cob loaf to form a lid. Pull away the soft bread from inside the loaf, leaving a 2cm-thick shell. Tear bread and lid into large pieces. Place loaf, lid and bread pieces on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove.
- To make dip, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add bacon. Stir for about 5 minutes, or until light golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Return pan to heat. Add spinach, onions and garlic. Stir for about 1 minute, or until spinach is wilted. Drain off excess liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Add bacon. Cool.
- Process both cheeses, cream and juice in a food processor until smooth. Stir into spinach mixture with dill.
- Just before serving, spoon mixture into loaf. Serve with torn bread and vegetable dippers.