4 x 200 g chicken breast fillets
½ cup plain flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup corn flakes crumbs
vegetable oil, for shallow frying
2 x 200 g bags coleslaw mix
½ cup sliced natural almonds (55g), toasted
⅓ cup Japanese mayonnaise
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
⅓ cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
- Dust chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake away excess. One at a time, dip into eggs. Toss in crumbs, pressing to coat evenly.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to shallow fry, over a medium to high heat. Add chicken. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make katsu sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Boil gently, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, or until glossy and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- To make slaw, toss coleslaw with almonds and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Serve sliced chicken with coleslaw and warm katsu sauce.